Instagram is not just an app for putting photos through filters that make the everyday look cool. It is quickly becoming one of the most powerful marketing platforms for businesses. With more than 700 million users, Instagram is quickly emerging as a powerful way for businesses to market with captivating imagery. But as with all social media use, you want to make sure you are talking your audience’s language.
Who is the Instagram audience? Here are some relevant demographic statistics:
• Six in ten online adults have Instagram accounts
• Most Instagram users are between the ages of 18 and 29
• It has a higher percentage of female users, 38% female vs. 26% male.
• 32% of teenagers consider it to be the most important social network
• 26% of Instagram users make more than $75,000 per year
• 32% of Instagram users attended college
Here are some ways to maximize your account’s effectiveness and build your brand on Instagram.
1. Capitalize on your Bio. Your Instagram bio is what people will read before deciding to follow you, so state clearly what your business/brand is all about and include a link to your website. A link here is critical, because Instagram doesn’t allow you to include links in individual posts. And remember that the Instagram demographic is younger than Facebook’s or Twitter’s, so don’t be afraid to have fun and let your business’ personality show.
2. Use Hashtags. Hashtags are probably the number one way to make sure that you are engaging with the right audience. Use lots of them: essentially, every relevant tag you can think of. This is frowned upon in some other social media platforms, but it’s only a benefit on Instagram. If you are not sure what hashtags to use, explore relevant communities on Instagram and see what hashtags are being used that relate to what you’re selling. And create your own hashtag so that when people use it when searching for you in particular, they will find your content.
3. Have a Style. Focus on imagery that speaks to your brand and tells a story or elicits emotion. Have a vision of what your Instagram account will say about your brand, and create a recognizable visual style to do it. Consider using a certain color palette or filter to make your images cohesive and recognizable, or adding your logo as a regular feature.
4. Write Engaging Text. Instagram is an image-driven platform, but you want your captions to be engaging too. Text can enhance the image with a compelling question or a motivational quote. Focus on providing your customers with value when you write your captions (and don’t forget those hashtags).
5. Geotag. Geotagging, in which you tag your location in your posts, is simple to do on Instagram, and it tells your audience where you are. If you are a local business, this will help people to find you and help you become known as a local brand.
If you want to learn more about how Instagram can help you grow your business, contact The Light Digital for a free marketing consultation.